FIRST Programs – A Key Strategy for Future Workforce Development
The mission of FIRST is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders and innovators, by engaging them in exciting Mentor-based programs that build science, engineering, and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.
GOAL: Establish FIRST as the one afterschool program for STEM skill and workforce development. Establish a source of funding and the infrastructure to sustain the program and its expansion; get the leaders of our community behind one goal, one program to develop a talent pipeline for high tech jobs in Rochester.
- Over 100 teams in the Finger Lakes Region serving students from kindergarten through high school
- Over 1800 students involved in 2018
- Major Competition Events
- FIRST Lego League (4th to 9th Grade) – University of Rochester
- FIRST Tech Challenge (7th to 12th Grade) – St John Fisher College
- FIRST Robotics Competition Regional (9th to 12th Grade) – RIT
- Engage Rochester city students by expanding the number of teams at all levels
- Increase student participation by 5X in three years (131 in 2018 to 750 in 2020)
- Insure funding for local events and area teams
- Come to the Finger Lakes Regional Event – March 16 and 17 at RIT’s Gordon Field House
- Fifty teams competing – NY, NJ, OH, Canada, China and Brazil
- Take a student-led tour.
- Meet, interact, and inspire the future workforce.
- 8:30 am to 5 pm each day
- Learn more about sponsorship opportunities for teams and events
- Glen Pearson, FIRST Regional Director for Upstate NY, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the FIRST Community in Rochester as we prepare the next generation