E-Mail From Regional Director
We are back!!! Can you believe it? It looks like we are on for the FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) Finger Lakes Regional event March 10-12th at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT).
I can’t possibly express how happy we are to welcome you back to in-person FRC events. Before we can open the doors, we have some business to take care of and some information to pass along.
RIT will be enforcing their strict, vaccine-only, COVID protocol. Information on this can be found on their website under RIT Ready.
- All attendees must show proof of vaccination and a photo ID upon entry to the facility. An original vaccine card, a photo of your card, or a NY Excelsior Pass will all be accepted. Any photo ID including a driver’s license or student ID will be accepted. Booster status will not be checked but if you are eligible, it is highly recommended.
- Team participants will be wristbanded once their vaccination status has been verified and this will allow them exit and re-entry throughout the event. Sharing of wrist bands will result in expulsion from the event.
- Spectator’s vaccine proof will be re-checked whenever they enter/re-enter the venue.
- Face masks must be worn at all times, covering both nose and mouth, except for when eating in designated areas. Food must be consumed while seated, and for now, face masks must be replaced immediately upon finishing.
- If you have a fever, a cough, or feel at all unwell, please take care of yourself and others by staying home!
- Ample hand sanitizer and cleaners will be available throughout the venue.
- We are not planning on limiting team numbers or pit access at this time. Please be reasonable in the number of people you have in your pit at one time and maintain social distancing when possible.
- Safety glasses will NOT be provided and/or cleaned and re-used. Teams must provide their own safety glasses and spectators should be encouraged to bring their own if they intend to enter the pit area.
RIT has been a long-time host of our event. We respect their efforts to keep their campus community safe as we navigate through this pandemic. I ask that we all show our gracious professionalism as we work through this process with them.
Event information including the public agenda, parking information, load-in/load-out instructions, and pre-order lunches can all be found on the RIT FIRST Robotics webpage.
I was with many of you on March 13, 2020, at RIT when our event was halted. It was a painful day and the beginning of a very long road for all of us. Many of us have been ill, lost loved ones, lost opportunities, and felt isolated. Let’s take this opportunity to celebrate what we have now, to appreciate being together, to protect each other, and to enjoy the hardest fun you’ll ever have.
I can not wait to see you!
With admiration and excitement,
Regional Director, FIRST®
For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology